Coocoo for Coconut Oil!
June 19, 2012 1033 Views
I discovered coconut oil a few years ago now but have been limiting my use of it mainly in baking recipes. The main reason for this is because at the time I started using it there was quite a debate regarding whether or not it was the healthiest choice out there…
Fast forward to the present, when all of the sudden, skeptics and nutritionalists have finally “discovered” that it is good for you…VERY good for you!
Not too long ago I forwarded a tweet to my mom called “160 Uses for Coconut Oil” (sorry, don’t remember who to give credit to for that!). My mother, who has always been an advocate for healthy cooking and living, jumped on the coconut oil bandwagon…and hasn’t looked back since! Thanks to all her excitement about this”new-found” miracle oil (as WE put it!) she has convinced me to take a closer look at the seemingly millions of uses and health benefits of coconut oil.
She recently lent me the book; The Coconut Oil Miracle by Bruce Fife. (Part of my “eye-opening” experience coincided with reading this book!)
Although I was convinced that my mom had
repeatedly (sorry MOM!) given me all the interesting facts there were to know about coconut oil, I was wrong! After reading this book, I was overwhelmed, shocked, and surprised (in a POSITIVE way!) of all the uses as well as health benefits of coconut oil. I can now say that I am officially converted-although I’ll need to take it one step at a time, as I can’t part with my first “love”, extra-virgin olive oil, so abuptly! (For the record, although I’ve started substituting coconut oil in my every day cooking, nothing beats the perfect extra-virgin olive oil in salads or for drizzling on meals for extra flavour!)
Take a closer look at your local grocery store (or the Bulk Barn) to see if they carry these brands…these are the only ones I’ve tried so far!
Nutiva Coconut Oil has a strong (delicious!) coconut scent and flavour. This one is perfect to use in baked goods, or simply change up your breakfast and spread some on your toast in the morning with some cinnamon and agave nectar.
Want the benefits of coconut oil without the coconut flavour? Spectrum Naturals Organic Coconut Oil is unscented and perfect for sauteeing meats and veggies.
Omega Nutrition Coconut Oil is also unscented. Use it as well for sauteeing or for deep frying-it gives the perfect crispiness to meats or veggies.
Here are a few facts that might surprise you about coconut oil:
- Massage coconut oil onto baby’s scalp to get rid of cradle cap.
- Reduce healing time by applying coconut oil to bruises.
- Use as a body moisturizer or eye make-up remover .
- Use as a leave-in hair conditioner for extra silky, smooth hair.
- Rub liberal amounts of coconut oil onto skin to relieve sunburn.
- Coconut oil boosts energy and endurance making it a great supplement for athletes as well as those need a quick pick me up.
- Melt and add to smoothies for an additional nutritional supplement.
- Use coconut oil as a gum remover in hair!
- Combined with peppermint oil, use coconut oil as an insect repellent.
- It regulates and balances insulin (which is great for those with hypoglycemia!).
Not convinced yet…or want to find out more? I suggest you read the book Coconut Oil Miracle…or check out some of these websites for more interesting facts: