This mousse is deceptively delicious! It’s light and fluffy and not to mention, gluten-free, egg-free, packed with protein, healthy Omega 3 fats, and of course, chocolate! Isn’t that reason enough to try it?!
Might not be the best looking snack but once your baby tastes it, it won’t matter what colour it is!
This impromptu recipe came about a few weeks ago as I was about to prepare my (sick) son’s morning snack, which had been (for 5 days in a row) Cheerios because he couldn’t stomach anything else! (I never thought I’d see the day when that would happen!) To my surprise, he was feeling a bit better that morning so I thought I would give him a special chocolate treat, but still keep his morning snack relatively healthy, of course!
I wanted to change up the same old banana, avocado, and carob pudding (which he loves!) so this time I swapped the banana for some leftover black beans in the fridge (why not?!), adding some melted chocolate chips, milk, and a few healthy and tasty additions.
(Yields about 1 cup)
1 ripe avocado
1 cup (about 1/2 can) black beans, rinsed
2 tbsp. liquid sweetener of choice
1 tsp. raw cocoa powder or 1/2 tsp. carob powder
6 tbsp. coconut milk (or formula, breast milk, milk of choice)
1/4 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1/8 tsp. salt (optional)
1/2 tsp. ground flax (optional)
1/4 cup melted chocolate chips (optional)
Melt chocolate chips in the microwave for about 20-30 seconds. I suggest heating them in 10 second intervals to avoid overheating them, which will make them seize (overheat and turn into burned dry clumps of chocolate!).
Add all ingredients (except for the milk) to a small food processor and purée until smooth and combined.
Once combined, add milk 1-2 tbsp. at a time and purée until blended. Continue to do so until you get the desired consistency.
The recipe calls for 6 tbsp. of milk, which makes a light, creamy mousse. You can use less for a thicker consistency for toddlers or more for baby as a first food.
*Some of the beans might not puree completely. If any older toddlers happen to notice…they’re pieces of “chocolate chips!”
My taste-tester is too young to ask…or too hungry to care!
Someone got their appetite back!!
Someone also crashed mama’s photo shoot! (I stepped out of the room for only a second and when I came back I caught him red-handed!).
He just couldn’t hold out any longer!
Look at those cute stubby fingers trying to sneak a spoonful!
Leave in the fridge to chill for at least 2 hours.
For older toddlers, garnish mousse with coconut flakes, crushed pecans or add more chocolate chips for a crunchy bite!